February: A Month in Review

This month I went back to work!!!!  While I am so glad to be back at work, I really miss being able to sit at home and read all day.  If I could get paid to read it would be my ideal job.  So being back at work means less reading time, and more driving time.  I decided to help keep up my pace I would add audiobooks to my reading,  that way I can listen to them in the car on my drive to and from work.  That gives me an extra hour of reading each work day.  I also listen to them while I wash the dishes.  Here's a hint on audiobooks: the narrator makes all the difference.  A book could be great, but if the narrator is terrible it's hard to listen to the book.  In February I completed 10 more books, and crossed 6 more prompts off my PopSugar Challenge.

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith
Did you know that author J K Rowling wrote another series of books under a male pseudonym?  I didn't until I was looking for A Book Written by a Female Author Using a Male Pseudonym for the PopSugar Challenge.  This is the first book in The Strike Series. I want to prepare you now, these are nothing like her beloved Harry Potter Series.  This is a series that follows the Private Investigator Cormoran Strike as he solves crimes.  So I picked up this book after hearing lots of hype about the series in general, knowing the author also wrote the Harry Potter books, and knowing this was a mystery.  I was prepared for it to be a great book.  I was disappointed.  It was an okay book.  The story and mystery were good.  However, the book itself was very slow paced for me.  I will not be reading the rest of this series.

Ryan's Bed by Tijan
This book takes an extremely difficult subject and takes the reader through the healing process with beautifully written words. Tijan masterfully shows the effects of teenage suicide on those closest to them, as well as things like bullying and coping. I was hooked from the beginning, and the ending was shocking. This is truly a life changing book. This was my first book by Tijan, and I can't wait to read more.  I will be adding all of her books to my TBR list.  This book would be great for any high schooler, but still enjoyable for any adult.  

180 Seconds by Jessica Park
Another new to me author!!!  Another that will have all her books instantly added to my ever growing TBR list.  In this book we join Allison, a college junior who loves to fade into the background.  After growing up in foster care she likes being invisible.  This year, that's not going to be as easy when she meets Esben.  Esben is famous on social media.  He uses social media for good, which in this day is amazing.  Allison gets pulled into one of Esben's social media experiments, and things go crazy from there.  This story is just incredible, an emotional rollercoaster. A great coming of age romance.

Dark Canvas by Jody Summers
Romance, paranormal elements, and mystery. This book has all of my favorite elements resulting in a great read.  I was amazed by the things that were happening in Kira's paintings. I love the idea of using cremated remains in a painting to remember the loved one, so much better than scattering ashes. I loved how quickly Sean and Kira realized and acknowledged their love for each other. They didn't care if people said it was fast. When it's right you just know.  This was Jody Summers debut novel.  I would say he nailed it.  

Babyjacked by Sosie Frost
I loved the story this book told. In some places I felt the writing could have been better.  I liked the characters, and the book was fairly easy to read.  I just wasn't blown away by this book.  I am not sure whether or not I will be reading the rest of this series.

Cinder by Marissa Meyer
So I had seen several posts on social media about this series.  So many people appeared to love it. I decided to read it for the Cyberpunk prompt on the PopSugar Challenge.  I discovered that Cyberpunk is not a genre I care much for.  This book felt slow, and the plot felt predictable.  I personally will not be reading the rest of the series.  The characters were the best part of the book.  

Watch Me by Jody Gehrman
Watch Me keeps your heart pounding and you sitting on the edge of your seat. I loved the plot and the thrill of this book. That being said, there were many times when it jumped from one event to another without a smooth transition that left me very confused. I used this book for the PopSugar Challenge prompt a Book with Song Lyrics in the Title.

My Torin by K. Webster
This book warmed my soul, broke my heart in a good way, and made me cry. It is an incredible piece of work regarding living with Autism and living with someone with Autism. The way the learned to communicate with each other through different means to overcome the disability was astounding. I have truly been touched by this remarkably well written story.

Return to the Isle of the Lost by Melissa de la Cruz
In this book we once again join Mal, Evie, Jay, and Carlos on another adventure.  This book picks up after the Disney Channel Descendants movie.  This time this incredible foursome face their fears and continue to learn that good triumphs over evil.  My absolute favorite thing about this series is how these kids learn that just because their parents were villains doesn't mean that they have to be evil.  Being good is a choice.  Another book that would be great for anyone who loves Disney.  It would be good for a middle grade student to read on their own, or to read aloud as a family to younger children.

The Alienist by Caleb Carr
I mentioned in the beginning of this post that I added audiobooks this month.  This was my first audiobook in a couple years.  I had almost forgotten how much I enjoyed them.  I had seen the previews for the TNT tv show based on this book, and they piqued my interest.  This story was very engrossing.  Learning about the beginnings of criminal psychology.  All the differences between the time period this book is set in and the world we live in today made me realize it must have been incredibly more difficult to solve crimes back then.  The way Dr. Kraizler and his team worked to find the killer by looking into why he does things was incredible.  I am really thinking I am going to have to look into other books by Caleb Carr.  I am usually not real fond of historical fiction, but this one had me hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment